Having worked with Dubarry over the years, I know what makes a good pair of boots. Add to that daily life on the farm and I’ve become a bit of a welly connoisseur!
Hence why I have named myself Chief Tester in The Wellington Challenge! Here, I am reviewing a pair of classic wellingtons with a claim to be a fantastic yard boot.
Sporting Hares Field Sport Boot
Sporting Hares is a British brand based in Wales. About 4 years old, they’ve made a name for themselves on the show circuit for their preppy wooden sunglasses but for some reason they escaped my notice until recently.
The Fieldsports were named by Horse & Hound as the best yard boot of 2015. They are made from natural soft rubber, with a traditional rubber gusset and waterproof zip. They also have a thick neoprene lining which keeps your toes comfy in temperatures up to -15 and they also have a supportive ankle and calf. They retail for £90
Watch the full Wellington Challenge below:
My Initial Thoughts:
First of all the packaging was beautiful on these. The heavy boots box was branded really well which a great photo on one side making them a perfect unisex gift. The boots themselves were heavy in hand-making me nervous that they could be tiring after a long days shoot/day on the farm. The sole was very well grooved so looked like it could provide excellent grip on mud and the zip/gusset/fastening were sturdy and felt high quality. The colour of the Royal Blue was subtle and classic.
- The boots were easy on, and for those with wider calves or ankle issues the zip would remove any potential issues.
- Despite the boots being heavy, they felt nice and sturdy and balanced on.
- There was excellent flexibility and movement allowed by the boots-vital!
- The grip was above standards with no slipping on very wet, muddy ground.
- The ankle support seemed to work
- The textured matt rubber finish was very smart and hardy.
- A good length
- Waterproof in prolonged times of submersion.
- Versitile-could be used for field sports, farm work and festivals.
- These boots run a size big so order a size down!
- Free Shipping through their website too!
Try them for yourself? Click here to view the range.
Terriers & Tweeds Wellington Challenge Rating: 5 Star!